Always tune in to (adelove.com) for freshest updates.
About two months ago, Justice Valentine Ashi of an Abuja High Court had on December 10, 2014 found Obasanjo guilty of contempt, after the former leader defied the court’s directive barring him from releasing the autobiography.
Former President Chief Olusegun Obasanjo will on Wednesday evening present the book to another audience in the United Kingdom.
Obasanjo is billed to launch the autobiography, My Watch, at the Royal Society of Medicine in central London. To be hosted by the Director of the Royal African Society, the book will be on sale after the launching.
It could be recalled that a prominent member of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Prince Buruji Kasahmu, who believes that the book discusses him in an adversarial manner approached the court for an order stopping Obasanjo from releasing it.
Unfazed, the former ruler went ahead with the public presentation, although the court had granted Kashamu’s prayers. The PDP chieftain, a former Ally of Obasanjo with whom he is now estranged, approached the court to initiate the contempt proceedings.
Obasanjo’s lawyer, Realwon Okpanach, said the former president would appeal the ruling.
He said the order, which the former president flouted, was given in error since it was not proven that the book contained libellous materials.
“The orders made cannot be enforced. They want the court to stop an act that had been concluded. That is impossible. We had published the book in November, they came before the court in December and asked that the publishing be stopped. Is that possible?” he queried.
Expressing their views in the statement made available on Tuesday, the five –member APPG in the UK said it: “is deeply concerned by the disappointing decision to postpone elections in Nigeria by six weeks.”
They reasoned that the “timing of this advice and the subsequent decision to postpone elections could hold troubling ramifications for the political independence of Nigeria’s electoral bodies and democratic process.”
The group added: “In light of this development, the APPG on Nigeria calls on all stakeholders; including presidential candidates, their respective political parties, and the electoral and security institutions of Nigeria to remain committed to holding credible elections in March and April.”