Over the alleged mastermind of the October 1, 2010, bombing in Abuja, a report revealed that, Charles Okah has told the court that he was now fit to stand trial and to defend the treason charges against him. Trial judge, Justice Gabriel Kolawole, had last year, adjourned the matter to Thursday, to allow the Nigerian Legal Aid Council some time to assign him a new counsel. Okah’s lawyer, Festus Keyamo had, earlier, been stopped from representing him, which stalled the trial for a while.
The trial of Okah and Obi Nwabueze had not progressed since 2010. They were charged with two other accomplices for the offence. While one of them is serving a life jail term, having confessed to the offence and convicted accordingly, the other died in prison custody. The Prosecution team, led by Dr. Alex Izinyon (SAN), though, was ready to open its case against the two accused persons, could not do otherwise, in the absence of defence counsel.
At the resumed trial on Thursday, an elated Okah, who had, at previous sittings, claimed unfit for trial, told the court he was mentally sound to stand for trial. He explained that the improved treatment he was receiving in Kuje Prisons aided his health adding that this was made possible by the Red Cross and the British Council. Earlier, during the court session, Mr. S.A. Abula from the Nigerian Legal Aid Council, had announced appearance for Okah. He, however, said that he needed some time to study the case file so that the council could assign a lawyer for the accused.