A former Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development, Nduese Essien, on Tuesday urged the Federal Government to publish names of treasury looters who had returned the stolen funds.
Essien made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Eket, Akwa Ibom State.
According to him, publishing the names of the looters will make more impact in the fight against corruption.
“President Muhammadu Buhari should publish those names that have willingly returned stolen wealth or those who have been forced to return stolen money.
“Let the public know how much has been returned, where it is paid into and its ultilisation.
“We don’t want a situation where money is returned and we don’t know where the money has gone to,” he said.
Essien called on the government to ensure that recovered fund was used to develop the country and in the interest of the masses, who had been deprived.
He lauded the government’s anti-corruption war, saying that it had made people to sit up.
“People are now afraid of indulging in corrupt activities for fear of being investigated after leaving office,” he said.
He expressed optimism that the anti-corruption war would work under Buhari, because he would not condone corrupt practices.
The former minister added that the war should be extended to persons working in the Presidency.
“Anti-corruption crusade is not suppose to hinge entirely on the past; it should also prevent those who are working with the President presently from getting involved in corrupt activities,’’ he said.