Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, former Minister of Education and leader of the Bring Back Our Girls, BBOG, advocacy group, has debunked allegations that President Buhari walked out on the parents of the missing Chibok girls, but that he was not emotionally committed when he met with the women and the group.
However, as the group alongside parents of the girls marched into Aso Rock, a delegation from the presidency including the Presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu, Minister of Defence and Minister of Women Affairs, met with them and said the President will not be attending to them immediately as he was involved in other engagements.
Notwithstanding, the group insisted that until the President concluded his other engagements, they will sit and wait at the Banquet hall.
In another development yesterday, the Minister of Women Affairs, Hajia Aisha Alhassan, faulted the parents and members of the group for not giving government prior notice on their Thursday’s march to the Aso Rock, Abuja.
In her response, Ezekwesili said, “I don’t understand why you can be chiding the parents and the movement. These parents were triggered by the words of the president who promised to rescue their daughters.”
Also, there had been some allegations by other members of the group who claimed that the President walked out on the group
Ezekwesili, however, has debunked such claims. On her tweeter handle @obyezeks, she said contrary to what was said by some members of the group, President Buhari did not walk out of the parents of the missing Chibok girls at the meeting.
She tweeted: DAY 640 of our Chibok Girls’ Meeting with the President. No. President @MBuhari did not walk out on parents. The parents just did not feel him.
“Of all that happened, my pain was his failure to connect to the parent’s agony.
“Our President missed opportunity of emotionally connecting with grieving parents.
“All that the President needed to do after speaking , was walk up to those mothers and dads and speak as a dad,” the leader of BBOG tweeted.