More than 15,000 education staff in Turkey have been suspended after last week’s failed coup, as a purge of state officials widens still further.
The ministry of education accused them of links to Fethullah Gulen, a US-based cleric the Turkish government says was behind Friday’s uprising.
Gulen denies any involvement in the coup attempt .
The resignation of more than 1,500 university deans has also been ordered by Turkey’s high education board.
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim vowed to take action against Gulen’s supporters.
“I’m sorry but this parallel terrorist organisation will no longer be an effective pawn for any country,” Yildirim said, according to Reuters news agency.
“We will dig them up by their roots so that no clandestine terrorist organisation will have the nerve to betray our blessed people again.”
The army, judiciary, security and civil service have all been targeted following Friday’s coup attempt:
*6,000 military personnel have been arrested, with more than two dozen generals awaiting trial
*9,000 police officers have been sacked
*3,000 judges have been suspended
*More than 250 staff in Mr Yildirim’s office have been removed
Turkey’s media regulation body on Tuesday also revoked the licenses of 24 radio and TV channels accused to have links to Gulen.
The UN has urged Turkey to uphold the rule of law and defend human rights in its response to the attempted coup, reports the BBC.
High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein said the mass suspension or removal of judges was “cause for serious alarm”. He expressed “deep regret” at suggestions the death penalty could be reinstated.
According to official figures from the prime minister’s office, Friday night’s coup attempt left 232 people dead and 1,541 wounded.