The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has cleared Chief Tony Anenih, the immediate past chairman of the party’s Board of Trustees, BoT, of the allegations of anti-party activities that forced him to resign his position last year.
The party, in a letter conferring good standing to Anenih, said having made consultations and reviewed the whole episode that it had formally withdrawn the letter summoning him to appear before the erstwhile National Working Committee, NWC, which was to act as a disciplinary committee over him.
The letter of clearance dated July 22, 2016, issued by National Secretary, Senator Ben Obi, on behalf of the Caretaker Committee, also appreciated Anenih for remaining steadfast as a leader of the party despite the obvious discomfort caused him by the episode as generated by the erstwhile NWC.
Anenih was last year forced to step down upon issues arising from internal bickering within the party leadership after he was issued a summons to appear before the NWC, which was at that time set to stamp sanctions against him upon the bickering in the party.
Anenih welcomes decision
Responding to the letter, Anenih, on his part, welcomed the decision, saying he was ready to put aside what he described as the injustice and vicious treatment he received from the erstwhile NWC.
In his letter dated July 25, 2016, Anenih said: “The former NWC, perhaps propelled by an ulterior motive, failed to accord respect to my person and office as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees as at that time. It demanded that I appear before it on May 20, 2015, on the trumped-up allegation of anti-party activities, barely 24 hours after they dispatched their letter to me.
“I am glad that your leadership has now been able to redress the issue more than a year after. It was as a consequence of this blatant unfairness and other similarly disappointing developments following the loss of our party in the presidential election that I was compelled to resign from office by the leadership of the party.
“I commend your leadership for giving me an opportunity to explain myself with respect to the issue, and I welcome the National Caretaker Committee’s decision to formally withdraw the offensive letter dated May 19, 2015.”