Arsene Wenger said there has been no change to his plan to decide his Arsenal future in March or April but that he will still be a manager next season, “whether it is here or somewhere else.”
Wenger, whose contract expires in the summer, has come under heavy pressure after his side suffered a 5-1 first-leg defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League this week.
Arsenal remain in contention for the FA Cup, with non-league Sutton United to play in the fifth round on Monday, but a failure to win the league since 2004 remains a regular source of frustration, with his side currently fourth, 10 points behind leaders Chelsea.
Wenger had told ZDF in Germany before the Bayern game that he would decide his future in March or April and he confirmed at Friday’s news conference that that remained the case.
He added: “If I said March or April it is because I didn’t know [what the decision will be].”
He dismissed the notion he was ready to retire.
“No matter what happens I will manage next season, whether it is here or elsewhere,” he said. “That’s absolutely for sure.”
Wenger also rejected reports that there had been a dressing-room row at the Allianz Arena.
“No. There was no incident in the dressing room apart from a huge sadness and disappointment,” he said.