Since the ‘wind of change’ blew away the PDP’s dominance in Nigeria, especially with the emergence of Gen Muhammadu Buhari as the president-elect after 16 years of PDP rule, many top politicians are beginning to dump the PDP for the newly elected APC.
Below are some of the politicians that defected to the All Progressive Congress after the victory of its presidential candidate Gen Muhammadu Buhari
- Ex-Edo state Governor, Osarhemen Osunbor, dumped PDP for APC.
- PDP governorship candidate Maj-Gen. Charles Arhiavbere (rtd) also dumped the PDP
- In Kwara Gbemi Saraki, younger sister to Senator Bukola Saraki and the PDP youth leader in the state defected to APC.
- Dr. Olusola Oke, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in the 2012 governorship election in Ondo state has concluded plans to defect officially to the All Progressives Congress (APC)
- The current Jigawa State deputy governor, Ahmad Mahmud also jumped the ship from the PDP to APC
- Brigadier Gen Chris Onja (rtd) and former AGF Michael Aondoakaa dumped the PDP in Benue state
- In Oyo state Mrs. Ayoka Lawani, a prominent member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) also crossed over to the APC
- The Majority Leader in the Gombe State House of Assembly Hon. Mamman Alkalio, was among the hundreds of politicians from the ruling Peoples Democratic party (PDP), who defected to the APC.
- In Abia state, mother of the former State Governor, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu Elder (Mrs.) Eunice Uzor Kalu, leader of the Reality Organisation in the South-East and and her members joined the APC. Also, former member of the House of Representatives and brother to the ex-governor, Hon Nnanna Uzor Kalu and ex-Chief of Staff to Governor Theodore Orji, Mr. Mascot Uzor Kalu, joined the APC.
- Former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives and founding member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Hon. Chibudom Nwuche, has also left the party.
In a letter dated March 29, and addressed to the National Chairman of the PDP, Alhaji Adamu Mu’azu, Nwuche said he “had watched with dismay the party’s descent into cabalism and god-fatherism as certain individuals became practical owners of the party’s structures and ensured that many persons with capacity and integrity had no opportunity to serve and remained shut out of governance.”
He blamed PDP leaders for not being able to stand up in defence of the truth and in support of the representational democracy, adding that his decision to quit the party was made a long time but was delayed in order to allow conclusion of the presidential poll.