Body of UNILAG Electrocuted Student moves to Enugu in preparation for her burial

A social-wake was yesterday held at the Okota, Lagos residence, of Chief Basil Anekwe, father of the 300 level Accountancy student of the University of Lagos, Oluchi Anekwe, who was electrocuted last Tuesday while on her way to her on-campus apartment. This is just as the body of the deceased had been taken to her home town in Igbo-Etiti Local Government Area of Enugu, with preparation for burial in the pipeline.

Her devastated father who spoke with Newsmen, described the incident as a shock he might never come from. Explaining how news of his late daughter’s electrocution reached him through members of Parents Association, UNILAG, Anekwe began with lamentation: “ My tallest is gone.”

He paused and cautioned the sympathisers not to cry, that the whole scenario was like a dream he hoped to come out of. Continuing, he recalled   how his driver took him to his office that fateful day and informed him he would be leaving for Togo.

He said: “But some hours later, my driver came back to the office and I thought that I had seen a ghost because I though he would have reached Togo already. I touched him to be sure he was the one. He then told me that Oluchi was sick and that they needed me at the hospital.

‘’I asked him what kind of sickness it was that needed my presence? I even asked if I should send money for treatment instead, but he insisted on driving me to   the hospital in Lagos; he never spoke a word as he drove me to Lagos. ‘’He took me to my house and I asked him if that was where Oluchi was. On seeing members of my family, including my brother-in-law in the house, I asked them where Oluchi was and they broke the bombshell that she had been electrocuted.”

‘’I asked why everyone was in   the house and not caring for her in the hospital. Immediately I called my Barrister and he agreed to accompany to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, LUTH, to see my daughter but   instead of   going to the emergency unit, he and the doctor led me to the morgue . When I asked why, nobody said a word to me.   Rather, they showed me my daughter’s dead body .

“ At that moment, I wanted God’s miracle to happen. Her left hand was stiff on her chest. I commanded her to wake up but she refused to wake up. I even opened her eyes but they closed back again. She never breathed again. My tallest is gone without giving me a signal that she was going to die”.

Chairman of the parents’ association, Mr. Majekodunmi, who led the delegation, presented the family a condolence card on behalf of the association, assuring that the association would look into the matter.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.