A man who wanted to teach his brother a bitter lesson ended up causing a devastating disaster in his town.
Up to 30 people have died after a man poisoned a batch of sweets belonging to his brother, with pesticides.
A Pakistani news outlets claim the jealous younger brother of a sweet shop owner poisoned the treats to ‘teach him a lesson’.
Dozens of people were caught up in the ploy, with 12 members of one family dying after eating the ‘laddus’ during the celebration of a birth in Karor Lal Esan in Pakistan ’s Punjab province.
So far, 31 people have died as a result of eating the sweets, which are made of flour and sugar.
Pesticides were being kept at the Tariq Hotel and Sweet Shop while a neighbouring pest control shop underwent renovations.
Earlier in the investigation, senior police officer Rameez Bukhari, said: “There was a pesticide shop close by which was being renovated, and the owner had left his pesticides at the bakery for safe keeping.
“A baker may have used a small packet in the sweet mixture.”
On Friday, local news outlets claimed the younger brother of the sweet shop, 18-year-old Khalid Mahmood, had confessed to poisoning the sweets, saying he had wanted “to teach him [his brother] a lesson.”
He is said to have used the pesticide Chlorfenapyr in the mixture.
Pakistan’s SuchTV reported he said he had been ‘tortured’ by his brother and ‘insulted over every trivial thing.’
Police reportedly found an empty bottle of the poison hidden in sunflower fields after questioning the suspect.
Laddus are traditionally eaten on special occasions such as weddings and births.