Brazilian defender Fabinho has signed a new five-year contract with Monaco. The right-back was linked with Manchester United in the summer transfer window but Ligue 1 Monaco were determined he would stay at the Stade Louis II.
Their resolve was rewarded when Fabinho agreed new terms for an extended stay with the principality side. Fabinho told Monaco’s website: “I’m very happy to be extending my contract with AS Monaco, as this is the club that has enabled me to reach my potential at the highest level for several seasons.
“It’s also introduced me to the Champions League, and it’s hugely pleasing to be able to take part in that competition again this year, with a very fine AS Monaco side. I have developed a lot since arriving at the club. Today is a very special day for me.”
The 22-year-old began his career with Rio Ave in Portugal before having a season-long loan spell at Real Madrid. He signed for Monaco initially in July 2013, spending two 12-month loan spells at the club prior to joining on a permanent basis last year.
Fabinho has scored 15 goals in 137 appearances for Monaco, and has made his full Brazil debut while with the club. Also on Friday, Monaco announced that striker Radamel Falcao has recovered from a left thigh injury and is in the squad for Saturday’s match at Lille.
Falcao joined from Atletico Madrid in 2013 in a deal worth €60 million. But he has struggled with form and injuries the past two seasons, scoring one goal in 12 appearances with Chelsea, and only four in 29 with Manchester United during spells on loan.
The 30-year-old Colombian made a strong start this season, scoring in both legs of a Champions League qualifier against Turkish side Fenerbahce.
Falcao limped off injured in the return leg on Aug. 3 and has missed five games. “In the last few training sessions he was flat out, that’s why I’m counting on him,” Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim said.