Five out of the 14 kidnapped oil workers have escaped from their captors after spending two weeks in captivity.
Gunmen had on September 2, 2016, seized 14 oil workers, who are employees of Port Harcourt-based Nestoil Plc.
It was gathered that two of the oil workers escaped from their captors on Thursday before three others regained their freedom at about 9am on Saturday.
The kidnappers had earlier demanded a N100m ransom from close relatives of some of their victims.
It was gathered that the five oil workers escaped as their captors were moving from one place to another inside the bush.
The source disclosed that one of the oil workers, who escaped on Saturday, was immediately taken to the hospital by the police after it was noticed that he was still in shock.
“Three more victims have escaped from the bush where they were held hostage by kidnappers. One of them is in the hospital while the other two are at the state police command.
“They escaped when their kidnappers were moving them around in the bush. We now have nine oil workers still held hostage by the gang of kidnappers,” the source said.
Speaking on the matter, Spokesperson for the Rivers State Police Command, Mr. Nnamdi Omoni, explained that the three workers that regained their freedom were rescued.
Omoni said the pressure mounted on the kidnappers by the police made it possible for some of the oil workers to escape.
He added that four of the victims had since been debriefed by the state police command.
He also confirmed that one of the victims was taken to a hospital after it was noticed that he was still in shock as a result of the experience in the kidnappers’ den.
Omoni also said investigation was ongoing to rescue other oil workers and apprehend the kidnappers.