Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has ruled out the possibility of Antoine Griezmann leaving the Vicente Calderon, including for Saturday’s rivals Real Madrid.
Griezmann, a reported target of Manchester United, rejected an offer from Paris Saint-Germain over the summer and signed a one-year contract extension with Atletico through to the summer of 2021.
The 25-year-old scored 32 goals in 54 appearances to help Atletico finish third in La Liga and runners-up in the Champions League last season, and then won the Golden Boot as France lost in the final of Euro 2016.
Speculation over the player’s future intensified last week when he said he would like to play at club level with France teammate Paul Pogba, and spoke of his admiration for Man United.
Cerezo told Onda Cero. “I don’t believe there is any possibility that (Real) Madrid or any other team will sign Antoine Griezmann because the player doesn’t want to leave this team.”
He added that even if there were a club willing to pay the forward’s release clause, which is set at €100 million, they “would need to take into account if the player wants to leave.”
Prior to arriving at Atletico from Real Sociedad in the summer of 2014 in a reported €30m deal, Griezmann said he was a Real Madrid fan as a child.
Cerezo refused to confirm or deny if there was an agreement between the Madrid clubs that Real would not move for Griezmann, but said: “Beside the sporting rivalry that exists between the two clubs, there is a magnificent relationship with them.
“I’m convinced Real respects everyone, more so their neighbours, which is us.”
Griezmann, Atletico’s top scorer in La Liga with six goals this season, has recovered from a foot injury he suffered in France’s 2-1 win over Sweden in last Friday’s World Cup qualifier and trained with the squad on Thursday.
Atletico are fourth in the standings, six points adrift of league leaders Real ahead of Saturday’s derby at the Calderon.