Male suicide bomber kills self, passerby in Maiduguri, Borno State

A male suicide bomber targeting a major motorpark in Maiduguri, Borno State has killed himself and a passerby.


The bomber was said to be attempting to enter the Muna Garage Motorpark at about 9.30pm Wednesday night, but was intercepted. “He blew off himself and killed one person nearby,” a Civilian JTF commander, who preferred anonymity, told newsmen.

The police command’s spokesman, Victor Isuku, a Deputy Superintendent, confirmed the incident in a statement to newsmen. “An explosion occurred at Muna Garage along Gamboru-Ngala Road, Maiduguri. Two persons including the suicide bomber died on the spot,” he said.

Isuku said a Mercedes Benz car parked by the roadside near the scene of the blast was damaged.

The explosion occurred nearly a week when multiple explosions linked to Boko Haram hit the city, killing six people.

In one of the blasts which occurred a few metres from the scene of Wednesday’s explosion, two suicide bombers were killed by the explosives detonated by them. Many residents said they feared Boko Haram bombers may have sneaked into the city. But the military maintained there was no cause for alarm.

“The impact of recent suicide bombing in Maiduguri though sad and unfortunate, was minimal due to the alertness of troops and other security agencies,” Gen Irabor said.”

Meanwhile, the military yesterday confirmed the killing by Boko Haram of the Commanding Officer of 114TF Batallion, Lt.-Col. B. U. Umar. He was ambushed after a bomb explsion in Borno State.

Col. Umar died immediately in the attack which occurred at about 9:30a.m. on November 15, another officer, a lieutenant, died later from the attack while eight others were injured.

Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole in the North-East, Major-General Lucky Irabor, confirmed the incident on Wednesday.

He said: “On November 15 , at about 0930hrs, our troops while on patrol to Mubi encountered an IED explosion along Bitta–Pirang Road and thereafter, were ambushed by Boko Haram terrorists”, Irabor said at a Press conference.

“Troops successfully cleared the ambush after a fight and unfortunately, the Commanding Officer, Lt.-Col. B.U. Umar lost his life on the spot. Subsequently, Lt Muktar also died in the hospital where eight other soldiers who are wounded in action were receiving treatment. The wounded soldiers have been responding to treatment”, he said.


1 Comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.