Press briefing by C.G Customs Col Hameed Ali on the seizure of Arms by officers plus names of importers.
BRIEFING BY THE COMPTROLLER-GENERAL OF CUSTOMS, COL. HAMEED IBRAHIM ALI (Rtd) ON THE SEIZURE OF ARMS BY OFFICERS AND MEN OF NIGERIA CUSTOMS SERVICE, FOU ZONE A, IKEJA, ON MONDAY 30TH JAN. 2017
Gentlemen of the press.
It is my pleasure to brief you on the recent gains of Nigeria Customs Service anti-smuggling operations. On Sunday 22nd January 2017, the Roving Team of the NCS Federal Operations Unit while on information patrol intercepted a Mack truck with registration number BDG 265 XG conveying a 1x40ft Container with Number: PONU/825914/3along Mile 2 Apapa road
2. The truck was immediately taken to the premises of FOU Zone A,Ikeja where Physical examination revealed 49 boxes containing a total number of 661 pieces of pump action rifles concealed with steal doors and other merchandize goods
3. These Rifles are under absolute prohibition; therefore its importation is illegal. Such deadly contravention of the law is even more unacceptable considering the fragile security situation in some parts of the country.
4. Already three suspects have been arrested in connection with this illegal importation. They are:
Mr. Oscan Okafor (Importer) age 51
Mr. Mahmud Hassan (Clearing Agent) age 56
Mr. Sadique Mustapha (accompanying the consignment to its destination) age 28.
5. Investigation has already commenced and I have directed that the drag net should be wide enough to fish out all persons involved in the importation and clearing of the consignment. Already, the Officers involved in the clearance of this container are with the Comptroller FOU Zone ‘A’Ikeja.
6. This seizure underscores the determination of the Service to enforce all laws relating to importation and exportation of goods into and out of Nigeria thereby contributing to the economy, security and wellbeing of the Country.
7. This feat is no doubt commendable and represents the new normal in the service where most Officers and Men are on a daily basis ensuring that illegalities are not allowed unchecked. I commend the Comptroller, all Officers and Men involved in this great seizure.
8. Let me seize this opportunity to call on all well meaning Nigerians to support the service with information that could assist the Service perform their statutory responsibilities in the interest of our father land.
8. Thank you for your attention.