Ryan Mason: I feel lucky to be alive after fractured skull at Chelsea

The 25-year-old has been discharged from hospital and is now recovering at home after suffering the serious injury at Stamford Bridge.

Hull City midfielder Ryan Mason says he feels lucky to be alive after fracturing his skull against Chelsea earlier this month.

The Englishman was released from St Mary’s Hospital in London on Monday after suffering a serious injury in a clash with Gary Cahill at Stamford Bridge on January 22.

Mason was given oxygen and put in a neck brace on the pitch before being treated at St Mary’s, a major trauma centre which specialises in serious sporting injuries.

He has now spoken publicly for the first time since the incident via his Twitter account, and thanked fans for the outpouring of well wishes he has received as he begins his recovery.

“I would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming support that has been shown to both me and my entire family over the past week or so,” Mason wrote.

“It has been an emotional rollercoaster and I feel lucky to be alive, but I’m happy to say that I’m now at home resting and recovering.

“My fiancé and family have read so many messages of support to me over the past week. To have had so many people send messages to me, including from fellow players, clubs (in particular the support shown to me from both Hull City and Tottenham Hotspur), so many fans as well as the support I have received from the general public around the world has been completely overwhelming.

“Each and every message of support really has given me strength and I cannot tell you how much it means to me.

“The love and support my mum, dad, sisters, fiancé Rachel and all of my friends and family have shown to me during what has been an extremely traumatic time for all involved has been incredible and I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart for being there for me throughout.

“Finally, I would like to say a special thank you to all of the medical staff at Hull, as well as the medical team at Chelsea and of course the fantastic treatment and support I have received from all the staff during my stay at St Mary’s Hospital.

“I will now be taking each day as it comes and concentrating on my recovery.”



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.