Fernando Torres has been released from hospital and given the all clear by doctors after suffering a sickening blow to the head.
The Atletico striker left the Riazor in an ambulance on Thursday night after being knocked unconscious in a clash with Deportivo’s Alex Bergantinos.
‘After spending the night under observation, Fernando Torres has left hospital in La Coruña this morning,’ a club statement confirmed on Friday.
‘He has been advised to rest for the next 48 hours.’
The statement went on to explain that the 32-year-old had a brain scan on Thursday night which showed there had been ‘no alterations or traumatic injuries’.
Torres had been knocked unconscious in mid-air and his head took another blow as he landed on the pitch in the dying minutes of Atleti’s 1-1 draw against Depor.
The severity of the incident became clear immediately with teammates rushing to his aid and ensuring he did not swallow his tongue.
Speaking after the game, manager Diego Simeone said he was ‘worried and nervous’ about the condition of his player.
‘We heard the blow from the bench, we saw how he fell and we were afraid,’ he said.
‘We didn’t know if that noise was Fernando’s neck or not.’
Several hours after leaving the stadium in an ambulance, Atleti announced that Torres was ‘stable and conscious’ before the player himself tweeted:
‘Many thanks to all for worrying for me and for your messages of support. It was just a scare. I hope to return very soon!’
Fans and teammates from former clubs Liverpool and Chelsea sent him messages of support, as did striker Alvaro Morata from Atletico’s arch-rivals Real Madrid.
‘Sometimes the colour of your shirt does not matter,’ Morata tweeted.
‘I hope you are back to training and playing as soon as possible!’
Atletico host Valencia at the Vicente Calderon on Sunday as they look to put space between themselves and Real Sociedad in the race for fourth spot in La Liga.