Groaning, as Lagos begins demolition of buildings for Agege flyover

Groaning, as Lagos begins demolition of buildings for Agege flyover

The Lagos State Government, on Monday, commenced the demolition of structures at Agege Pen Cinema to pave way for the proposed construction of a flyover.

Several buildings including shops, canteens, and stalls, among others, were demolished.

Also affected was a popular pharmacy known as Boluke, as well as an ATM centre belonging to GT Bank.

Security operatives were, however, on hand to maintain law and order and help control traffic on the affected roads .

One of those affected by the exercise, but who pleaded anonymity, confirmed that affected shop owners had much earlier been served quit notice by the state government.

The demolition exercise was confirmed by the Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Mr. Abiola Anifowoshe, who pointed out that the Government had in recent time held stakeholders’ meetings with owners of properties that had to give way for the construction of the affected areas and had given assurance of adequate compensation.

Anifowoshe said, “Before we remove any structure in Lagos State, the State Government would first hold Stakeholders’ meeting with the affected property owners within their domain to obtain their buy-in and commitment towards the projects.

“The Government has held meetings in all these locations and during these meetings allayed Stakeholders’ fears and assured them that the administration of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode would not remove any structure without paying due process”.

Anifowoshe said that officials of the Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development officials had marked all identified structures that fall within the proposed Right of Way in these locations and have served all affected structures with necessary notices.

“We are removing these encumbrances to pave way for the infrastructural upgrade for the socio-economic growth of the State.

The Commissioner said, “I urged all affected property owners to submit the following documents for the ease of processing the payment of compensation by the State Government. The documents include: Certified Registered Title Documents of Properties within the said Right of Way, Approved Planning Permit for the affected Buildings, and other relevant documents”.


1 Comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.