Jacob Zuma to face corruption trial

South Africa’s former President, Jacob Zuma, is to face prosecution for 18 charges of corruption, and it is official.

Related image

The director of public prosecutions confirmed on Friday that the charges include more than 700 counts of fraud, racketeering and money laundering.

Zuma, 75, denies the charges.

He was forced to resign as president last month by the ruling African National Congress (ANC).

The charges against Zuma relate to a 30bn rand ($2.5bn) government arms deal in the late 1990s, before he became president.

Shaun Abrahams, Head of the National Prosecuting Authority, said a trial court was the appropriate place for the matter to be decided.

“There are reasonable prospects of a successful prosecution,” he said.

Mr. Abrahams said he had dismissed representations made by Mr Zuma asking that the charges be dropped.

The former ANC chief has always denied claims he received bribes from bidders in the deal.

Zuma has faced a series of corruption related charges including the followings:

Zuma’s financial adviser, Schabir Shaik, was jailed in 2005 for fraud and corruption.

Zuma went on trial in 2006 but the case collapsed when the prosecution said it was not ready to proceed more than a year after he was charged.

South Africa’s National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) controversially dropped the charges in 2009, shortly before he won the presidency.

Political opponents campaigned tirelessly for him to face trial.

South Africa’s High Court reinstated the charges in 2016 and Zuma lost a Supreme Court appeal to overturn them.

Zuma weathered an array of corruption allegations during his nine years in power.

In 2016, a report by South Africa’s anti-corruption watchdog alleged that the billionaire Gupta family had exploited their ties with him to win state contracts.

Both the Guptas and Mr Zuma deny any wrongdoing.

The same year, South Africa’s highest court ruled that Mr Zuma had violated the constitution when he failed to repay government money spent on his private home.

An anti-corruption body found he had spent $23m (£15m) on refurbishments including a swimming pool and an amphitheatre. He has since repaid some of the money.

Advertisements

7 Comments

  1. Good. If it’s in our Nigeria, you see shameless people that will come and say that their son should not be touched, when he is not the first or only person that has stolen Nigerian money, yet we want to make progress as a country. Ofcourse, we can’t if we continue on this ignominious path.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*