The counsel representing the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and Director of Radio Biafra, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu, Barrister Aloy Ejimakor said that he is not aware of Kanu’s sureties withdrawal of their suretyship.
Prosecution counsel in Kanu’s trial; M.S. Labaran had on Thursday March 28, informed Justice Binta Nyako that all three persons who stood surety for Kanu had since applied to withdraw from the matter which prompted Nyako to issue a bench warrant for the arrest of the leader of the IPOB, after revoking the bail it had earlier granted him.
But Ejimakor in a release issued to journalists by IPOB spokesman, Emma Powerful, described the claim that Kanu’s sureties have withdrawn their suretyship as inaccurate.
“The reports in the media quoting Justice Binta Murtala-Nyako as stating (when revoking Nnamdi Kanu’s bail on March 28, 2019) that the ‘three sureties who bailed Kanu had applied to the court to withdraw their suretyship’ is inaccurate”.
“I should know because I represent one of the sureties and we never made such application, or anything close to it. On the contrary, the sureties have been fighting to stay on as sureties while pointing to the army invasion of Kanu’s home as the sole and proximate reason for their inability to produce Kanu in Court.
For the foregoing reasons, we are currently studying the record of proceedings of the said March 28 hearing to see whether it will be necessary for the sureties to file fresh processes to protect the integrity of their suretyship relationship with Nnamdi Kanu, which is still valid and subsisting”.